Fitness by Farzan

Fitness/workout ramblings from this San Franciscan bike enthusiast/Personal Trainer/Strength Training Professional/Coach/racer gal!

Saturday, August 19, 2006

RANT******RANT******RANT*****
WARNING TO CYCLISTS RIDING THROUGH SAUSALITO:

The Sausalito cops are out in full force to show us bicyclists who the boss is. Obviously they got to much time on their hands cause I got pulled over this A.M. by one of Sausalito's "finest".

I was shocked when I heard the siren and when I turned around and saw the flashing light, I realized he was pulling ME over. I'm thinking "What the hell did I do". I know better and stop at the Red lights...So,I pull over and he tells me I have violated 2 laws.
1) I was riding outside of the bike lane and 2) wearing earphones in both ears. I had no idea it was against the law to wear headphones! Apparently 1 ear needs to be open....That is BS! Perhaps in a car where you are much more isolated from the feel of the road, the wind and elements bombarding you you can be less aware of your surroundings but on a bike? First of all, the music is never so loud that I can't hear cars. I heard him, didn't I???

Wow, I am shocked. Here it is, 8:30 am in Sausalito, there is very little traffic so being outside of the bike lane doesn't seem so life threatening. I had no idea I was violating the law. He (for some reason) just gave me a warning on that one.

Apparently the 2nd violation is much more serious as he asked me for my drivers licence. Good thing I remembered to put it in my pocket this am. He (Mr. Happy cop) asked me if I had any outstanding warrents or arrests, and although I said no, I really wanted to say "Yes, it was me who KILLED JonBenet Ramsey and I was about to rob a bank this morning"...but I held back. While he checked on my crimminal status, he handed me some piece of paper to read regarding bicycle infractions which I couldn't keep but only read.

I realize I am taking my own life in my hands anytime I get on a bicycle but I think the police should be spending their time looking for and dealing with real crime. Let's face it, if a car hits me (or I get car doored by being in the frikken bike lane) I will be hurt, not the car. I accept that is a possibility when I ride. If I choose to listen to music, I should be able to. I can in my car. Damn,If I want to, I can blast the music sooooooooooo loud in my car with the windows up that I can't hear a thing. hmmmmm.....Seems like the Sausalito police are a little bored these days.

So if you ride that way, be good boys and girls..or else you too might get a ticket!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home