Fitness by Farzan

Fitness/workout ramblings from this San Franciscan bike enthusiast/Personal Trainer/Strength Training Professional/Coach/racer gal!

Saturday, November 18, 2006

I FINALLY GOT OFF MY A**

and made the pilgramage to the Hellyer velodrome. I've been thinking about it ever since I bought my fixed gear bike but somehow couldn't factor in the time/energy on a Saturday to drive down from San Francisco to San Jose. Especially since I can just ride out from my house and in 20 minutes be at the Golden Gate Bridge where I have many biking options to choose from.

Well today was the day, and WOW it was fun. Every Satuday (rain and special events excluding) they hold a beginning track session. This is a great way to get aquinted with the track, it's rules and regulations as well as get reaquainted with group riding in an organized format.

After a brief discussion of the meaning of the various lines and names of the areas, we were instructed on when to be in the various lanes. We were given a series of exercises and eventually broke into small groups. I had a slight disadvantage as I stupidly didn't change out my road training gearing and had a very small gear hence had to hold high RPM's to keep up witht the 85 inch gears. Nonetheless, I held my own and at one point managed to see 156 rpms on my cycle computer...

Fortunately I've been riding the hell out of my fixed gear so the basics of non coasting are pretty well ingrained in my body. One other gentleman today was not so lucky. As he was sprinting to the line he lunged out on his bike and must have forgotten not to pedal. All I heard was boom and moaning. He hit the deck and hit it hard...A few bones he did break. This certainly put a reality check back...Wow, it only takes one error...

Nonetheless, I will go back. Hopefully make it a regular training day. It certainly would be nice to have a velodrome in San Francisco. I know, I've heard the rumors about one being built for years...will it ever happen? Hmmm if the 49ers are looking outside, I doulbt a velodrome has any serious contention here. but hey ya never know!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

woohoo! Go Nancy! Glad you enjoyed the velodrome even though I think I hate it... hope that guy is OK...

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home