Fitness by Farzan

Fitness/workout ramblings from this San Franciscan bike enthusiast/Personal Trainer/Strength Training Professional/Coach/racer gal!

Friday, July 14, 2006

FUN WITH A FIXED GEAR BIKE : The Joys of riding a Fixie.....

If you live in San Francisco, you see them everywhere, most of the time ridden by young trendy tattoed skinny hipsters with rolled up jeans and a U-lock in their back pocket. Somehow, along the way the fixed gear bike became vogue.

Whatever! These bikes have been riden for years by track racers, road racers working on their techninque (strength and spin) as well as bike messengers and old school cylists who just enjoy the purity of the fixed gear.

Me: I just enjoy the simplicity of one gear, the constant need to focus on the terrain and environment. The need to stay sharp and NEVER forget to pedal. I have a front brake (and use it) but "purists" go no brakes and simply rely on slowing the pedals down with their legs (backpedaling) or skidding their back tire to break.

It's also a great tool for my "comeback" training as it can be a great combination of strength work and super high RPM's in one workout. My coach has incorporated quite a bit of fixed gear riding in my rebuild program and I'm enjoying spending time spinning and grinding :) I know it will bring both increased strength as well as help build the neurological pathways for my legs to be able to handle higher RPM's.....

So if you see me out there flying down a hill with my legs spinning away, refrain from yelling "SHIFT, SHIFT" cause I can't :)




1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home