Fitness by Farzan

Fitness/workout ramblings from this San Franciscan bike enthusiast/Personal Trainer/Strength Training Professional/Coach/racer gal!

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

"When the Power of Love Overcomes the Love of Power the world will know Peace" -
Jimi Hendrix


I came across that quote on the wall at Glide Memorial church on Xmas day and it really struck a chord.. It had been a few years since I volunteered during the holidays so this year I felt long overdue.

Every morning I am reminded of the grim reality of the down and out as I ride my bike commute to work. As I head down Golden Gate Ave past the Federal Building each morning around 6:30 am, I see the folks rising from their blankets and cardboard, forming lines at St. Anthony's for a meal and the overall feel is truely sickening. Sure many of them are doped out and/or have severe mental illness and are so far gone that chances are miniscule that they will ever survive a life off the street. But there are others as well in the mix....Seems like way to many.

For a while each morning I was greeted by 2 men on the corner " Hi biker Lady" which at first took me by surprise but I immediately waved and smiled. Hmm, I haven't seen those guys in a while. I'll take a look tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Blogger shawnkielty said...

I see several homeless people during my travels to work, and sometimes I find that they are really (sometimes) members of the community, despite the drugs, the insanity. They work some and contribute some.

They are there in the morning to say "Good Morning," and sometimes reach out to shake my hand.

It takes compassion and not fear to let them live such a difficult life. To give them the care to look out to them as we ride by.

And occasionally hand them a fiver and say -- "Buy some food with that."

I appreciate your post and your reminder to spread some love.

Thanks.

12:54 AM  
Blogger Monkey Ballz said...

Well ,there you go...again

2:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home