Fitness by Farzan

Fitness/workout ramblings from this San Franciscan bike enthusiast/Personal Trainer/Strength Training Professional/Coach/racer gal!

Friday, June 23, 2006



Commuting by bike.....Ok, so my 6 mile jaunt doesn't have as many hairpins as this but it has it's share of obstacles.

First of all, I feel so fortunate to be able to ride to work again. Besides riding for pleasure/sport, my bikes were my daily commute vehicles. So after the wrist surgery, I had to either drive or take Muni. We all know the pitfalls of Muni (especially when you live near the end of a line, it takes FOREVER), so driving became the quickest option. This was kind of ironic becuase it took me the same amount of time to drive/park/walk to Club One as it does to ride my bike there. HMMMM. Save $$$ on gas, parking upkeep etc...and get a little extra (bonus) exercise, why not commute by bike?? Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not anti car. I own a nice one and enjoy driving but to help be one less car when I can, just seems right.

So today I rode my fixed gear Bianchi (first time in 5 months) and had a blast. There is nothing like the simplicty of a fixie. No gear changes, no coasting, and lots of spinning. Ton's of fun. I will admit I am too wimpy to learn to track stand but I do as much as I can not to have to unclip and put a leg down as possible :) At one point, after I passed a guy on a slight downgrade, I glanced at my cadence monitor and saw 130 rpm's...Oh what fun :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home